Monday, October 12, 2009

The Pax Obama

During the 2008 presidential election, my roommate in college satirically predicted the coming of a Pax Obama if Senator Obama became President Obama.  Apparently other people less satirically anticipate the coming of peace due to President Obama, as displayed by the fact that he won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday.  Now, you usually have to do something to win a Nobel Peace Prize, and I suppose Obama has done something.  He has talked.  That's about it. 

I never used to get angry about the Obama hero worship that some people seem to suffer from.  He is a true change in American politics, and it is expected that the far left wing would be ecstatic about having a true liberal in office for the first time since LBJ.  But this Nobel thing just got me angry.  You should have to do more than talk a good game to get a Nobel Prize.  If talking a good game actually promotes world peace, then I don't have a problem with the prize.  But as far as I can see, world peace is about as far away as it was when Obama came into office.

No comments:

Post a Comment